Friday, January 8, 2010

Thoughts on medically supervised programs

I actually had planned to post some resources and stuff, but felt the need to comment on medically supervised programs instead, because I feel torn between two worlds that seem to not really understand each other very well; the medical model that tends to look on people who traverse the HCG path alone as crazy, and the DYI folks who seem to have a bit of contempt for the clinics that offer HCG. I hope to bridge the gap I see between the two views (or at least narrow it a bit).

I began this journey all alone. I did so because I was desperate and I had no money to pay the exorbitant prices I saw being charged for the program at clinics. However, I also have a great deal of experience in research. I am relatively computer savvy. I am healthy, and had a plethora of testing not so long ago that told me so. I don't have a problem taking responsibility for my choices.

However, after releasing about 50 lb., I wanted to help launch this program through a wellness center. I knew there were a lot of people who would love to do this, but who would never go it alone. Perhaps because they just aren't comfortable with a foreign source for product, or because they are on medications or have health concerns, or just because they aren't very experienced at having to look every little thing up on the internet. And for some, I am reminded of a conversation I had years ago about teaching a class.

I do calligraphy. Someone suggested once that I teach a class on it. I laughed and told her I just learned by buying a book and teaching myself...anyone could do that. I would feel odd charging for something anyone could do. Her response is that not everyone could, and not everyone would want to. Some people would rather pay to have someone teach them.

I bring this up because I see a parallel with those people who would never benefit from the protocol if they had to do it themselves: Some don't have the resources or skills to figure it out; some just don't want to.

I don't disparage either group. They both have valid concerns. One of the biggest concerns with some of the DIYers (one in particular that I respect very much) is that he feels clinics are ripping people off. Considering I just talked to someone yesterday that spent $6000 and 6 months to lose 15 lb., I cannot argue that this never happens. BUT, to exclaim, "CHA-CHING" at a $1000-1200 price tag for the program fails to take so many things into consideration that I'd like explain why comparing the cost of the DIY option to the fee of a clinic is like comparing apples to airplanes.

Granted, the HCG itself is not that expensive when you get it from out of the country. Some people aren't comfortable with that option and prefer a US source from a compounding pharmacy, which may cost more.

The other supplies aren't expensive either, but if a person goes it alone, they have to find the resources and gather the supplies from those assorted places. That involves rounding stuff up from two or three different sources. Some may scoff and say it's no big deal...the sites I've posted already put everything in one place for people to easily find stuff. But for some it's NOT easy; it's overwhelming. I know. I've been helping people do it. For most people, they just want one site where they can order everything. They are willing to pay someone to make it simple. Clinics charge for this simplicity, yes, but there are many DIYers who are offering the same mentoring service for a fee. It would be great if we could all do it out of the goodness of our hearts, but the bills have to be paid, so our time is worth something. And in the case of the clinics, the bills include handouts, site maintenance, employee salaries, PR, insurance and any little extras that the CLIENTS have requested. For example, we include a calorie counting booklet for stabilization and a journal, among other things. These were not added to increase the profit; they were added to assist the client. I would love to know what Simeons charged for people to come to Italy and stay at his facility while they were on the protocol, and what little 'extras' he provided besides his medical expertise and supervision.

Yes, a clinic needs to make a profit in order to stay in business, but I will tell you, a fee of $700-$1200 is not a huge profit because of all the underlying costs involved. Most of us have spent that on diets that DIDN'T work. This works. That gives it value. It's likely what people while save on their grocery and entertainment expenses while they are on protocol, plus maybe $15 or $20 extra per week. That's a reasonable cost. Not to mention the support and encouragement they get from weekly appointments with a mentor. Could they find that on-line? Sure. I did. But if they wanted to, they would. Some prefer the personal accountability of checking in with someone and the fancy equipment. They want to pay for it. In addition, while most people won't need additional tests or supplements and extraneous 'stuff', some will. Medical supervision means those that need it will get it.

Finally, there is a psychological benefit to having a substantial investment for some people. There is also benefit to having to pay the full fee upfront. For some, that makes this a binding commitment. If they have to make a bit of a sacrifice, they are going to take it seriously. We tend to believe if it's expensive, it must be valuable, although I think we can all agree there is a line between 'valuable' and 'ridiculous'. In some cases it's not a line...it's a chasm. However, even in those cases someone is paying the scandalously high price or else the places charging those amount wouldn't be in business. The value of goods and services is what the market will bear. There are obviously people abusing the desperation of obese people, but it's important to recognize the difference between those people and the ones trying to offer a service at a reasonable price...even if your definition of 'reasonable' differs. Putting a legitimate protocol offering through a wellness center in the same category as a place that offers something priced 5 times higher (or more)isn't helping the consumer. Comparing the cost of doing the program alone to the cost of a reasonably priced alternative isn't either. Some of us are filling a need and making a difference for people who may not feel confident to go it alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment