Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Navigating a holiday weekend

I survived the 4th of July no worse for the wear!

We traveled to Michigan for a long (really long...5 days!) weekend, meaning we were on the road two full days. We split the first part of the trip into two 5-hour days of driving, and the trip home was a full 8 hours.

We did not have our own scale with us. We barely fit all the junk did take into our car! I did weigh on my dad's scale our last day there, and it said I was the same as I was on my scale the day I left. That was encouraging because last time his scale was 4 lb. heavier than mine, and he said it was about that difference between his scale and his doctor's. So, I figured I actually might have lost a little, but I knew I didn't gain.

On my scale at home (after a full day of NO movement in the car) I was up a little less than a lb. Today I'm down a couple of tenths of a lb. I'm really close to my plus-2 lb. weight, which is up a little more than I want to be, but within the realm of decent.

I did party more than usual, but I make sure I had a bottle of water for every glass of wine. I chose cheese from the buffet table, and make decent choices at restaurants for the most part. I gave away most of the fries that came with my chicken or burgers...all total for the weekend I had about 20 fries and a 1/2 dozen chips. I had one 2 x 2 brownie. Otherwise, I ate food I brought that I know works for me in a pinch (nuts, fruit, Atkins bars) and stuck with cheese, or for breakfast the last day, bacon.

I do think that one thing that saved me was I made cookies and cupcakes from the Healthy Indulgences blog. I knew there would be temptations while eating out, at my step-moms (she's a stellar cook and baker!) and on the road. Having a bag of allowable treats made it really easy to go for those instead.

While I'm certain just being back and living life normally (well, our new normal, which is not quit Grok but close) will bring us back where we want to be, we (dh and I) think we may do a 'steak day' as an Intermittent Fast to bump us back quicker.

Overall, I'm pleased with what I feared would be a setback. Now I'm going to sound like those people I used to hate when I was 210 and say, "If I could only drop those last 10 lb. before our next vacation..." ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment