Wednesday, September 8, 2010

vacation

Well, we just returned from 6 days of 'vacation'. It wasn't so restful, but this blog is not about that, so other than the fact that no sleep/constantly interrupted sleep contributes to weight gain, I'm only logging my stabilization progress...or lack thereof.

We took our own stabilization-friendly food, and ate that MOST of the time. During the six days we were gone, we ate out 4 times. During those 4 outings, I still made decent selections for about 80% of what I ordered. In that week, I had the equivalent of perhaps one potato (several entries included some sort of potato, and I did take a few bites), an average of a little less than piece of bread per day, and one full desert (a very small piece of keylime pie at one place for our anniversary dinner, and bites of a desert I shared with my husband.)

I drank a glass or two of wine most nights.

I did not eat the dips and chips and brownies at the family gathering Saturday night. I did not eat the pizza on the tall ship cruise Sunday night. I did not eat the very tempting baked goods at the bakery/breakfast place we ate at on Sunday morning. I chose scrambled eggs.

I ate more beef (the form of filet mignon) than I usually do in a month, because it makes me gain. I was hoping to get a good one at least once, but was sorely disappointed.

The first time, it was at Mission Table. This place used to be called Bower's Harbor Inn, and it was elegant with THE most superb food. It was a special place we'd go to for our anniversary and New Year's Eve. It was worth the drive (it's WAYYYY out on the end of a peninsula) for special occasions, because while it was expensive, it was a special treat. Now, it's just expensive and WAYYY out on a peninsula. The new owners have removed all the 'special' from it. Sad. Our server, Raja, who has been the one constant over the years was still there, that was the one nice thing. The food wasn't bad, but it wasn't special. It was almost worth the splurge, but not the build up.

The next place was billed as an 'elegant, gourmet dining experience'. It was so NOT. My steak was very overdone and nothing about the dinner was anything but ordinary, except the bread. That was good. I kicked myself that I actually didn't say anything so that at least it would be worth it.

The next place we've eaten at before, and everything about it was good...I will go back...but I DID send my steak back, because this time, it wasn't even warm in the middle and was mushy. I just couldn't eat it unless they actually cooked it. So, I sat there waiting for food while my husband ate his dinner.

As for exercise, it was chilly and we didn't get beach walks. We did get 2 miles on the treadmill at the hotel two of those days, and about 1/2 hour of yoga one day, and the hot tub/sauna I think 4 of the 6 days.

Now on to the important part. In six days, being 'good' at least 80% of the time and not having any one dining experience worth a gain, I gained FIVE POUNDS.

I had someone comment a week or two ago that it's not fair that others can eat what they want while some of us can't. I tried to be the 'rah rah' support team, but frankly, right at this moment, I'm thinking it sucks eggs too!

So, while I'm still at the 'normal' line on Wii, I'm right AT the line. I'm back up to the place I really don't mind being at, but I was sooooo excited to be 5 lb. lower! I hope it doesn't take me a month to get back there!

No comments:

Post a Comment